Warby Parker is seeking a thoughtful Engineering Manager to motivate and lead a team in delivering features for the Warby Parker iOS app.
Your primary responsibility is to support the talented Software Engineers that make up your team and help them become successful. Day to day, you’ll help them grow in their career paths, create great software, and stay engaged in their work at Warby Parker. You’ll advocate for excellent software development practices and instill these behaviors in your team and your peers. We’ll also count on you to cultivate a positive culture, ensure technical architecture, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, you and your team will partner with Product Managers to execute roadmaps that enable Software Product teams to achieve our strategic objectives. Working cross-functionally, your team will help craft robust, intuitive features in record time. This is a highly visible role in which you’ll support internal stakeholders throughout the business, as well as interact with executives and department heads to discuss ideas in real-time (e.g., roadmaps, risks, and work dependencies). Our ideal candidate is confident without an ego—you take your work seriously, but not yourself! This leader can also balance a fun, quirky style with a proactive, deliberate approach. Sound a lot like you? Keep reading!
What you’ll do:
- Build and lead a team of Engineers through hiring, coaching, mentorship, feedback, and career development
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure the delivery of high-performing applications and services
- Ensure the timely delivery of engineering work to meet business needs and architecture standards
- Build a metrics-driven operational culture helping build out our practices for KPI measurement and review as well as for logging, monitoring, alerting practices
- Demonstrate an unparalleled drive for results, customer empathy, and the long-term vision for software products, continually delivering work in an agile and iterative manner
- Ensure your team is highly engaged and excited about their work
- Establish, monitor, and maintain fantastic communication across departments to ensure transparency regarding how product work is prioritized and managed, as well as how key metrics are performing
- Set and enforce the highest standards in software production
Who you are:
- Backed by 10+ years of relevant work experience, some of which involves Internet-based products
- Backed by 4+ years of Engineering Management experience at a DevOps practicing organization, with direct management of at least 6 people
- Strong understanding of domain-modeling and system design
- Experience working with cloud providers, distributed systems, and service-oriented architecture
- Driven by a desire to build and maintain strong relationships, help others in career development, and create inclusive environments
- Equipped with stellar interpersonal and communication skills in small and large groups
- Able to evaluate team performance objectively and rationally, and hold them accountable for meeting team goals
- Able to make tough decisions when needed
- An eloquent, empathetic influencer with excellent leadership and negotiation skills
- Able to work with multiple teams and communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical teammates
- You are not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Experience working for a company that has a significant consumer-facing element, like retail or e-commerce
- Experience with ERPs and other enterprise software systems
- Formal knowledge of process improvement methodologies
- Experience with cross-functional teams or matrix organization
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We accomplish this by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We’ve proven that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy and innovation to consistently surpass customer expectations.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We’re driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!
- Salary Type: Annual