|Job Title: Senior Footwear Designer||Date: March 2021|
|Reports to: Lead Design Director||Department: Product|
|Status: Full-time, salaried||Direct Reports: 0|
The Senior Footwear Designer leads the development of creative product or product line designs within a specific product category that reflect current trends and the organization’s design philosophy and aesthetic.
- Provides creative leadership, oversight, and inspiration to the design and development teams for an assigned product category. Partners with innovation team to incorporate new concepts into seasonal themes and designs. Ensures collaboration with the development team to design products within specific pricing goals. Apply market research, trend insight, and knowledge to interpret business briefs from the product team to select materials, and actively creates and presents new innovative concepts
- Leads, delegates, manages, and drives multiple design projects from conceptualization to finished product, adhering to calendar deadlines. Self-manages own creative process and executes towards given design languages within assigned category
- Creates and manages timely execution of tech/design packages ensuring all details are accurate
- Creates illustrations and technical drawings for new design concepts and digital renderings of materializations in Photoshop and Illustrator, detailing concept, materials, and development specifications based on KEEN brand design guidelines
- Manages the seasonal global color and trend direction and digital assets along with producing color CADs for all product categories. Works with Materials team on seasonal graphic and webbing artwork. Ensures seasonal palettes meet company standards and is incorporated in Centric
- Collaborates and clearly communicates with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure design objectives are reflected in the creation and execution of the product. Prepares, presents, influences, and enables business teams to act on design projects
- Travels with the design team to factories across the global, sales meetings, select tradeshows, and significant retail regions/districts
- Leads presentations with strong verbal and visual execution, while clearly communicating design vision
- Translates creative vision and direction to design counterparts across the organization to support successful cross-functional partnerships and ensure a unified product creation process from concept to completion
- Bachelors degree in design or related field
- Minimum eight years of footwear design experience, or a combination of education and experience
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, CAD, Microsoft Office products, and MAC OS
- Expert ability to create technical footwear drawings and demonstrate knowledge of current trends and the ability to interpret trends
- Advanced understanding of employing design, construction techniques, and appropriate use of materials, including extensive knowledge and full understanding of product design and development including outsole construction, last making, materials, color, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of interdependencies between design and development, and the ability to drive collaboration between the groups
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills
- Advanced story-telling skills with the ability to create compelling design stories and themes
- Ability and willingness to train and develop team junior members and support internal career path development
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and delegate work across a design team
Up to 10% of work time will involve travel
Why Work at KEEN: Driven by a passion for life outside, KEEN is a values-led, independently owned brand from Portland, Oregon, that’s on a mission to create original and versatile products, improve lives, and inspire outside adventure. Founded in 2003, KEEN launched a revolution in the footwear industry with the introduction of the Newport adventure sandal, and has donated more than $18 million to non-profit organizations and causes around the world to promote responsible outdoor recreation, including conservation efforts to protect open spaces. KEEN strives to show the world through its products and its actions that a business for good can actually be good for business. By giving back, reducing impact, and activating communities and individuals to protect the places where we work and play, KEEN puts its values in motion and takes action to leave the world a better place.
At KEEN, we believe in a more just and equitable future for all people. As a global brand, we acknowledge that our business, buildings, and daily lives exist within the traditional territories of indigenous peoples. We strive for a future that recognizes the knowledge, rights, and resilience of these peoples.
KEEN Footwear is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive and diverse community. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
- Address: 515 NW 13th Avenue, Portland Oregon 97209
- Salary Type: Annual